Carolina Style Chorus Mission Statement
The Carolina Style Chorus is a women’s chorus specializing in singing a cappella music in the barbershop style. Our goal is to provide musically excellent artistic performing opportunities, as well as vocal education in an atmosphere of fun and friendship!
Carolina Style Chorus was originally the Hickory Chorus, established in 1972. By the time our current director, Jean Danaher, came onboard in the summer of 1997, Carolina Style Chorus was a small, 17-member group that had only been competing in Region 14 competition every 3 years - a minimum requirement by Sweet Adelines International. In 1998, Jean said that we would be going to competition every year from then on, and we have!
Since then, under Jean’s dedication and care, we have grown to 50 members, and our scores have risen from 422 in 1997 to 619 in 2018! Here are some of the chorus’s accomplishments and awards:
- 2000 - Most Improved Chorus
- 2002 – 3rd Place: Harmony Classic in Greenville, SC
- 2006 – 4th Place: Harmony Classic Competition in San Antonio, TX
- 2011 – 1st Place: Region 14 competition
- 2012 – International Sweet Adelines Competition in Denver, CO
- 2016 – Wild Card regional representative at International Sweet Adelines Competition in Las Vegas, NV
- 2018 – 1st Place: Region 14 Competition
- 2019 – International Sweet Adelines Competition in New Orleans, LA
- 2022 - 4th Place: Region 14 Competition
In 2022, we celebrate our 50th Anniversary as a chorus!
In addition to yearly competition, Carolina Style performs all over North Carolina for many different types of events, parties, and conventions.
- Biltmore Estate - We perform yearly during the Christmas season at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.
- Festival of Tables - Every fall, we put on a concert at our Festival of Tables fundraiser in our hometown of Conover, NC.
- Churches & Social Events - We also perform regularly at churches and other social events in the area.
Other Chorus Events
- Coaching Sessions – Each year, we have 3-4 of the very finest Sweet Adelines International coaches from all of the United States help us prepare for our competitions.
- Family & Friends Night – We give a special performance each year for our family and friends prior to competition. We love having our loved ones give us a positive send-off!
- Socials - Part of what makes us a family is our fun social events! Sometimes these are gatherings after rehearsal to celebrate a birthday, and sometimes we all get together after a Christmas performance to enjoy each other's company.
We hope you'll join us for a rehearsal in person! Contact us to learn more!